Hi Jason! I just bought a house with a stove that runs on gas. There are no pellets. It simply heats up these “rocks” and then they and the entire stove radiate the heat. The stove is in the fireplace and vents out the chimney.
When lighting the pilot, I have to hold the gas button for a long time in order for the pilot light to stay on. And then I can turn turn the fire on, but it fades after 10 minutes.
Based on superficial research on the internet, these symptoms (for a pellet stove, at least) seem to point to the temperature sensor. Looking further, those seem to be associated with an exhaust fan. However, I don’t see (or hear) a fan at all. Is it possible for this to be a self-venting non-pellet stove and have the same issue?